Through dedication to their scene and aesthetic, Bay area label Muti Music is on the brink of greatness. Named after the Bantu word for ‘tree’ that is used throughout Africa as a term for herbal medicine, Muti’s stable of hardworking artists manage to produce a new single, EP, and album every month, give or take a few. Timonkey, ill.Gates, Mimosa, and label boss Dov are all at the top end of the lower frequencies game today, while the likes of FreQ Nasty, Kraddy, Opuio, and, oddly enough, someone with the same name as folky hipster and Polaris Music Prize nominee Dan Mangan have all been released by the label.
Unwavering commitment to their form is demonstrated by the dependable quality of their consistent releases. Point of fact, this entire Soundscape mix was made using only tracks Muti released in 2010. If this is any indication, there will be many fine years ahead of Muti.
Big thanks go to Dov for allowing this mix to exist, and Justin Guse for using gifts to create fantastic works of art.
02. Bassobese - “Squid Face” (49 Nights of Twilight, 2010)
- Start time: 4:06; Links: Bassobese
03. Klone - “Hydra” (Dubconstep, 2010)
- Start time: 7:54; Links: Klone
04. Mimosa - “Pandora” (Psychedelic Stereo, 2010)
- Start time: 11:11; Links: Mimosa
05. Timonkey - “The Day Fungus Took Over” (Future Perfect, 2010)
- Start time: 14:29; Links: Timonkey
09. Shen - “Unnecessary Peril” (Lost Hopes, 2010)
- Start time: 29:46; Links: Shen
10. Adam John - “Tear This Up” (Moments, 2010)
- Start time: 34:16; Links: Adam John
11. Great Scott - “Defcon (Run Riot Remix)” (Revolved, 2010)
- Start time: 38:09; Links: Great Scott
12. Mad Zach & R2 - “Speaker Gargle” (Wolfspiders, 2010)
- Start time: 41:29; Links: Mad Zach & R2
13. Domain ID - “Wasted and Haunted” (Boombox Apocalypse, 2010)
- Start time: 45:29; Links: Domain ID
15. Heyoka - “Reptilian” (Marklar, 2010)
- Start time: 55:00; Links: Heyoka
Total Running Time: 59:33
We all know how critical it is to keep independent voices alive and strong online. Please consider a donation to support our work as an independent publisher devoted to the arts and humanities. Your donation will help PopMatters stay viable through these changing and challenging times where advertising no longer covers our costs. We need your help to keep PopMatters publishing. Thank you.
// Sound Affects
"Natalie Hemby's Puxico is a standout debut from a songwriter who has been behind the scenes for over a decade.READ the article