The 100 Essential Directors Part 5
Derek Jarman to Mike Leigh
by PopMatters Staff
14 August 2011
Antoine Fugua’s re-imagining of the Western classic is a glorious orgy of machismo and mayhem....
In spite of its somewhat obnoxious characters and episodic narrative structure, Women in Love works ...
A portrait of a woman who succeeded in the film industry despite playing by her own rules. ...
A story is told, not lived. It's experienced as a sort of opiate, a momentary deferral of lived expe...
This story's milieu is a special mythical corner of The Establishment, and yet it's weird as hell....
Cameras and media can increase transparency or magnify performances, security might be a function of...
This unnecessary sequel lacks the novelty and ingenuity of its predecessor....
// Short Ends and Leader
"From painters to interrogators, some of the finest films at Gdynia Film Festival 2016 dramatized real-life figures from the country’s past.READ the article
- Criterion Draws Fresh Restorations From Welles With 'Chimes at Midnight' and 'The Immortal Story'
by Michael Barrett 23 Sep 2016 // 2:45 AM
- Spread the News Silently: 'Dr. Mabuse' and 'The Captive'
by Michael Barrett 20 Sep 2016 // 2:45 AM
- TIFF 2016: 'LBJ', 'Message from the King' and 'Blue Jay'
by Stephen Mayne 16 Sep 2016 // 10:30 AM
- Bad Bedside Manners in 'The Horrible Dr. Hichcock'
by Michael Barrett 16 Sep 2016 // 2:45 AM
- TIFF 2016: 'Deepwater Horizon', 'Moonlight', 'Carrie Pilby' and 'The Magnificent Seven'
by Stephen Mayne 15 Sep 2016 // 2:00 PM
- TIFF 2016: 'The Ornithologist' and 'Goldstone'
by Stephen Mayne 14 Sep 2016 // 11:00 AM
- Make Something Called 'Cat People', and Make It Cheap
by Michael Barrett 14 Sep 2016 // 2:45 AM
- TIFF 2016: 'Denial', 'La La Land' and 'Jackie'
by Stephen Mayne 13 Sep 2016 // 10:00 AM
- Guys & Dolls & Stiffs in 'Stop, You're Killing Me'
by Michael Barrett 13 Sep 2016 // 2:45 AM