The 100 Essential Directors Part 5
Derek Jarman to Mike Leigh
by PopMatters Staff
14 August 2011
Despite plodding direction, the resonant themes and rich performances of Denzel Washington and Viola...
Oscar winners Dan Lindsay and TJ Martin's gamble on making the audience’s eyes do most of the work...
Contemporary filmmakers break the 180-degree rule all the time, but seldom with the kind of flair th...
One can argue about director Terry George's decision to focus on love in this milieu, but there’s ...
Ben Wheatley's latest is Reservoir Dogs meets Smokin’ Aces minus any and all narrative ambition....
Some films disavow their own filmic presence, they attempt to be subtle by staying out of the way; t...
A sensitively framed composition of human nature, Chilly Scenes of Winter reveals the desires and ne...
// Short Ends and Leader
"The captivity narrative in Hounds of Love explores the depths of a grisly co-dependence.READ the article
- Boston Underground Film Festival 2017: 'Fraud'
by Valeriy Kolyadych 30 Mar 2017 // 10:30 AM
- 'The Chamber' Keeps the Drama and Suspense Going
by Paul Risker 27 Mar 2017 // 9:30 AM
- 'Two O'Clock Courage' Is Only a Quarter to Noir
by Michael Barrett 21 Mar 2017 // 2:45 AM
- We Destroyed New York Long Ago With 'Deluge'
by Michael Barrett 20 Mar 2017 // 2:45 AM
- 'Something for Everyone' Is an Early, Albeit Sinister, Example of Queer Cinema
by Michael Barrett 17 Mar 2017 // 2:45 AM
- Ken Russell's 'The Boy Friend' Razzle-Dazzles 'em
by Michael Barrett 16 Mar 2017 // 2:45 AM
- Stuck in the Middle: Relationship Tangles in 'Somewhere in the Middle'
by Imran Khan 15 Mar 2017 // 8:30 AM
- Black Comedy Comes in Many Colors in 'What a Way to Go!'
by Michael Barrett 8 Mar 2017 // 2:45 AM
- On Truth and Dark Turns in 'Tickled'
by Cynthia Fuchs 21 Feb 2017 // 9:00 AM