Monday, December 18 2000
1. Badly Drawn Boy, The Hour of Bewilderbeast (Twisted Nerve/XL)Admittedly, a chaotic hodgepodge but a rousing, thoroughly enjoyable one. From beginning to end, and
1. Radiohead, Kid A (Capitol)Ignore the critics who call this too challenging, too out there. Anyone who’s ever listened to ambient, free jazz or
1. Badly Drawn Boy, The Hour of Bewilderbeast (Twisted Nerve/XL/Beggars Banquet)While 2000 will not likely be remembered as a great year for music overall,
1. Transatlantic, SMPTe ((Metal Blade/Radiant)Quite simply the best kept secret this year. A prog/rock project featuring drummer Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), keyboardist Neal
1. Jennyanykind, I Need You (Yep Roc)Band on the Run was recorded on an 8-track machine in a swamp in Nigeria. Jennyanykind’s I Need
This is the first year in several that I have heard enough good new music to make it worth worth creating a top five or
To me, there’s no such thing as an objective “best”. Still, here’s what I liked most in 2000 1. Sigur Rós, Agæ
My phone never rings. On the rare occasion, I make sure to grumble with a guttural: “yeah.” I want the caller to think that I’
1. Q and Not U, No Kill No Beep Beep (Dischord)Born and bread in Washington DC and proof that rock music can be both inventive
It was almost impossible to narrow this list to 10 recordings. My sincere congratulations to all of the artists listed here. The recognition is truly deserved.
Best Hip-hop Albums of 2000 Hip-hop endures. Whatever the hubbub, hip-hop simultaneously accommodates and alters the cultural landscape. While superstars appear on magazine covers and TV
1. Song: “Light Rain” by Geoff Muldaur, from Password (Hightone)The sexiest voice. Additionally, the best sustained use of steel brush on cymbals. “Light Rain” will
The end of the year is the hardest time in a critic’s job because that means they have to agonize over each and every
Monday, November 6 2000
According to Coldplay, recently lofted bafflingly high in the UK charts, 'It was all yellow'. Quite what it was and how it came to be yellow are not specified, although several unsavoury suggestions come to mind by the time of the fourth hearing of this song (ingeniously entitled 'Yellow').
Thursday, September 28 2000
All the fanfare in the world won’t tell you what it’s like to visit a museum. Seattle’s Experience Music Project (EMP) had
Wednesday, September 27 2000
Now that the 2000 Festival is over, there are still a few posters up, but most signs of it have been swept away by the street-cleaning crews. Some of the stars have gone home or wherever they go.
Friday, September 8 2000
Chris McQuarrie doesn't look like someone from Hollywood. He doesn't wear black, his face is pleasant and his voice soft and deliberate, without the speed and breathlessness that afflict folks who spend too much time inside the business.
Saturday, September 2 2000
The last weekend of August has meant one thing and one thing only to Londoners for 36 years, the Notting Hill Carnival. This street party is
Friday, September 1 2000
A talking head confronts the reader in a panel of American Splendor: On the Job (Dark Horse Comics, 1997). He’s a middle-aged blue collar intellectual,
Thursday, August 31 2000
Fabián Bielinsky greets me with a warm and hearty handshake.