Monday, December 16 2002
Putting together a “Best Of” list for 2002 proved a far more difficult task than it has in previous years. Sure, it always requires a bit
2002: A Very Musical Year Assembling this year-end list was tougher than usual since there were so many varied and distinguished releases. First off, the criterion
1. Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head (Capitol)On 2000’s Parachutes, Coldplay got by on considerable youth, charm, and a knack for sweeping hooks
Top 20 lists are a sham. For that matter, so are top 10 lists. How many albums from any given year can you honestly say you listen
“Makin’ hula-hoops of Saturn’s rings”: top hip-hop CDs in 2002 Many of the year’s most memorable events took place off wax. Snoop gave up
My Top Ten Favorites of 2002 Umani, I Muvrini (AGFB/EMI)I Muvrini’s latest release Umani (Humans) is a gorgeous collection of pop songs sung
1. Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Nonesuch)2002 was a year that I spent more time contemplating what it meant to be an American, than I had in
1. The Reputation, The Reputation (Initial)On the whole, I’m a bit prejudiced against undergrad finance students, since they seem to wrap their personalities around
It was another fine year for alternative country music. My top two choices are from artists whose releases, strictly speaking, aren’t overtly country, but
1. Candy Butchers, Play With Your Head (RPM/Sony) On Play With Your Head, Mike Viola returned with the best pop record of the year-a tight
1. Common, Electric Circus (MCA)Lonnie Lynn has spent his whole career as a rapper moving toward personal and artistic liberation, and on this long freaky
Best and Worst of 2002 1. The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Warner Bros.)Pity those who have turned their back on the Flaming Lips
1. Patricia Barber, Verse (Blue Note/Premonition)Chicago’s very own Patricia Barber managed a huge breakthrough with this release, the first to feature her own
1. Olajope, Batidos (Six Degrees)Olajope are Ron Trent and Jay Roderiguez. Ron Trent is the legendary Chicago deep house producer who surprised a lot of
If this list showcased the best music that I listened to in 2002, it would probably contain only two or three of the releases below. This
1. The Streets, Original Pirate Material (Vice)It might not blow you away at first listen, with its rather weak beats and innocuous, conversational “rapping”, but
It’s been another great year for music—in rock, jazz, and reissues. Here at PopMatters, we writers have a good deal of leeway as
Tuesday, December 3 2002
Since the off-the-chart global success of Thriller 20 years ago, Michael Jackson has been on the unenviable quest to top himself and unfortunately his out-of-studio antics have done just that, obscuring a musical career of some distinction.
Friday, November 8 2002
The Blasters were one of the few bastions of what is often referred to as roots rock in the '80s. Just don't ask them to sit quietly in any category.
[T]rue to the reflexive nature of media in general, MTV's self-absorption quickly deflects whatever cultural capital the station tries to give Nirvana back onto itself.