LMFAO will not apologize for party rocking—despite the fact that its new album is titled Sorry for Party Rocking.
The duo—of SkyBlu and Redfoo—are actually Skyler Gordy and Stefan Kendal Gordy, and if their last names ring a bell, then you are not far from the truth: Stefan is Motown Records’ founder Berry Gordy’s son, Skyler his nephew. The pair never exploited their family’s considerable music business clout, however, as their first album—2009’s Party Rock—was released via Black Eyed Peas’ frontman will.i.am’s record imprint on Interscope. The duo pumped out hedonistic party singles one after another, collaborating with the likes of Lil’ Jon one minute, guesting on a David Guetta hit the next.
So while its long-delayed Sorry for Party Rocking album is due out later this year, the group is planning on showcasing some of its new material by party rocking this year’s Bamboozle Festival, April 29th to May1st in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Before the group does that, however, SkyBlu sat down to answer PopMatters’ famed 20 Questions, where he reveals his desire to try every drug at Woodstock, the fact that The Notebook made him cry, and how in a perfect world, it’d just be him and 2Pac hittin’ up the Ritz . . .
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry?
The Notebook (the movie).
2. The fictional character most like you?
3. The greatest album, ever?
A Tribe Called Quest’s The Low End Theory
4. Star Trek or Star Wars?
5. Your ideal brain food?
6. You’re proud of this accomplishment, but why?
Finding the [one] I am going to marry—so that I have someone to share the rest of my accomplishments with.
7. You want to be remembered for . . . ?
I want to be remembered as the person who helped some of the most talented and creative people in the world fulfill their dreams.
8. Of those who’ve come before, the most inspirational are?
2Pac, James Brown, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Erykah Badu, Danny Way, Jamie Thomas, Laird Hamilton, Berry Gordy IV, Berry Gordy III, Vincent Georald Robeson, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin.
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature?
I wish I wrote Michael Jackson’s “Lady in My Life”.
10. Your hidden talents . . . ?
Do a backfilp, skateboard, surf, basketball, ping pong, chess, Mario Kart, martial arts, fish, cook.
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed?
“Mind over matter.” My grandfather told me this—if you don’t mind then it don’t matter.
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole, or borrowed?
Vaporyzer “The Volcano”—and I bought that bitch.
13. You feel best in Armani or Levis or . . . ?
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be?
Just me and 2Pac.
15. Time travel: where, when, and why?
Woodstock so that I could try every drug—I would be VIP of course.
16. Stress management: hit man, spa vacation, or Prozac?
Hit man . . . eliminate that bitch!
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or . . . ?
18. Environ of choice: city or country, and where on the map?
In the middle of a forest with my family.
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country?
20. Last but certainly not least, what are you working on, now?
The next LMFAO album and a TV show.
- Multiple songs MySpace
// Sound Affects
"With their debut, the Norwegian duo essentially provided the everyman's guide to electronic music.READ the article