Contest is now closed! Please be sure to check pick up SMiLE on compact disc or vinyl!
Today marks the day that EMI releases the remastered versions of The Smashing Pumpkins’ Gish and the Siamese Dream. To celebrate, PopMatters would like to give you a chance to win your own copy of the remastered Gish or Siamese Dream. We’d like to share some details on these exciting new remasters and please be sure to check out the album on iTunes at http://itunes.com/smashingpumpkins and visit the band’s site at http://smashingpumpkins.com/ to join the Record Club.
From the assorted press releases:
As THE SMASHING PUMPKINS get the fully remastered treatment via these reissues, the band is excited to be moving forward by creating new music. After touring America and Europe this fall—the trek launched October 5 in Los Angeles and wraps December 8 in Lisbon—they will release OCEANIA, “an album within an album,” as part of their in-progress 44-song work TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE. Featuring 13 new songs, OCEANIA will be released in early 2012 (further details TBA).
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS’ longtime strong bond with their fans continues… via The Smashing Pumpkins Record Club when the reissues of their first two albums—1991’s Gish and 1993’s Siamese Dream—become available.
According to the band’s website, fans will get five free unreleased demo tracks for download: “All orders of Gish and/or Siamese Dream include an instant download of the four tracks that have been previously available only through the Smashing Pumpkins Record Club (SPRC) - the 8-track demo of “Drown,” “Suicide Kiss Geek” (no vox), “Barb Wire” and “Rhinoceros Version 2,” plus one new exclusive. As a little bonus for purchasing these from the SPRC directly, we have found another little buried treasure for you. Enjoy the “Frail and Bedazzled Instrumental”—This is a Billy Corgan home demo from back in the day! While you are at it, be sure to sign up for the SPRC for future gems… Digital purchases will be delivered via download link at midnight on November 29. There are standard and deluxe versions available of each album, with different tracklists”.
* Deluxe versions of Gish and Siamese Dream will each include a bonus disc of rare and previously unreleased audio content.
* Deluxe versions of Gish and Siamese Dream also contain a never-before-released live show from the Metro in Chicago on DVD. The 10-song live show in the Gish package is from 8/25/90; the 17-song live show in the Siamese Dream package is from 8/14/93. Both DVDs feature introductions by Joe Shanahan, owner of the Metro in Chicago.
* The Gish bonus disc will include brand new Butch Vig mixes of the original Sub Pop single tracks “Tristessa” and “La Dolly Vita”.
* Vinyl has been mastered specifically for the format.
* Housed in special lift-top box packaging, the deluxe versions feature liner notes and track by track commentary from Billy Corgan, never-before-seen collages and photos, postcards and more.
HOW TO ENTER: Please email [email protected] with the subject “SPRC” and your name and mailing address in the body. You also will have the opportunity to DOUBLE your chances of winning by visiting PopMatters Facebook page, locating the post (with the post matching the date of this entry/check the link), then “liking” the post AND commenting on it. You must have sent an email entry to enter via Facebook.
Contest ends December 8, 2011. Open to US residents aged 18 years or older. One entry per household. Additional entries (beyond one each) via email or Facebook will result in your disqualification. PopMatters contributors are not eligible. Winner(s) will be randomly drawn from all eligible entries. The first winner drawn will receive Gish while the second winner will receive Siamese Dream. Address is required in order to send prize to winner(s). Information will never be sold or used for any commercial purposes.
// Moving Pixels
"It's easy to dismiss blood and violence as salacious without considering why it is there, what its context is, and what it might communicate.READ the article