PopMatters caught Glenn Tilbrook‘s acoustic set at Nashville’s unassuming, friendly 3rd and Lindsley in September 2013, while in town for the Americana Music Fest. It gave us a thrill, to see the Squeeze man up close in such a laid-back, comfortable setting, far removed from his stadium shows’ past.
Indeed, Tilbrook grabbed the brass ring long ago and doesn’t have to prove a damn thing to anyone. Lucky for us, he just keeps on sharing that talent he was born with and he’s having a ball in this present incarnation of his music and his life and its infectious. Enjoy “Everybody Sometimes”, from his latest, Happy Ending (10 June), while we catch him for a few minutes during the UK leg of his current tour.
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry?
Amour, about the French couple. She gets ill and forgetful and doesn’t recognize her husband.
2. The fictional character most like you?
Bart Simpson because I’m always up to mischief.
3. The greatest album, ever?
Talking Book by Stevie Wonder.
4. Star Wars or Star Trek?
5. Your ideal brain food?
Listening to Radio 3 because they play a wide range of music that I’m not familiar with.
6. You’re proud of this accomplishment, but why?
Everything that I’ve done. I have worked hard and I’m proud of it all.
7. You want to be remembered for?
Hopefully for being a good father, husband and friend. And I would like my music to live on.
8. Of those who’ve come before, the most inspirational are?
John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Noel Coward.
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature?
“Common People” by Pulp.
10. Your hidden talents…?
I’m a secret Jamie Oliver. Bish, bash, bosh. I love cooking and every now and then I make something that’s quite nice.
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed?
As long as you enjoy it, keep doing it.
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole or borrowed?
My lovely motorhome.
13. You feel best in Armani or Levis or…?
Second hand clothes.
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be?
Jimi Hendrix because he’s a legend.
15. Time travel; Where, when and why?
I’d like to go back to 1963 to see The Beatles play at Woolwich Odeon.
16. Stress management; hit man, spa vacation or Prozac?
Camping with family and friends always makes me feel more relaxed. Or Antigua.
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or…?
18. Environ of choice: city or country, and where on the map?
Swimming in a lake anywhere.
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country?
F**k right off!
20. Last, but not least, what are you working on now?
Recently released my 3rd solo album so touring with that and preparing for my tour with Chris Difford later in the year called “The At Odds Couple Tour”.