Just finishing up my round-up of best music scribing of the year for rockcritics.com, which will be out some time in the next week. Some things I’m pondering:
- All the crying about the media’s downfall is the same story from last year
- Old-school magazine/newspapers can’t afford to only keep up with the latest/hottest technology
- Blogs aren’t at the point where they’re money making machines quite yet
- What’s going to happen with the daily/weekly/monthly news cycle where the Net has speed this up to an hourly pace?
- Branding is a blessing and curse for traditional media
- Writers and readers both will need to support their favorite publications if they want them to stay around
I’ll flesh it out in some readable detail but just some food for thought for now. Happy holidaze. See you in ‘06…
We all know how critical it is to keep independent voices alive and strong on the Internet. Your donation will help PopMatters stay viable through these changing and challenging times.
// Channel Surfing
"In another stand-alone episode, there's a lot of teen drama and some surprises, but not much potential.READ the article