Better known as The White Album, it’s the 30th anniversary of the seminal 1968 Beatles record and Capitol Records is celebrating with a limited edition, individually-numbered re-release that captures the look and feel as well as postcards and poster of the original vinyl album. After Revolver, this is one of The Beatles’ best albums, though it was also the first where the group began working less as a group and started recording individually with session musicians.
Hints of future solo work are strikingly apparent in John Lennon’s emotionally bare “Julia,” and Paul McCartney’s rocker “Back In The U.S.S.R.” (think Wings circa Band On The Run). The White Album is simply one of the greatest albums in rock history and more than any other Beatles album, highlights the enormous variety of their songwriting punch.
On their first album since 2012, the German techno duo offer up more stark, well-produced minimalism...
Two jazz "stars" unite for a recording and tour that proves to be more than the sum of its parts....
Ivywild is an intoxicating, stunning purge of emotion whose only fault is that it runs a little long...
Salim Nourallah’s knack for capturing the spirit of pure pop within the context of razor sharp hoo...
A pairing of experimental music all-stars results in an album ideally suited for an as-yet unscripte...
While Helios | Erebus may not be the best the group has to offer, it’s still a gorgeous yet heartr...
As evidenced by her authoritative drawl and smart sexuality, it is immediately clear Suzanne Santos ...
// Notes from the Road
- Smashing Pumpkins Rock for Revolution at Irvine Meadows
by Greg M. Schwartz 31 Jul 2015 // 8:00 AM
- Blood and Thunder: Black Sabbath’s ‘Sabotage’ at 40
by Adrien Begrand 31 Jul 2015 // 2:02 AM
- Guster + Kishi Bashi Perform at Central Park Summerstage (Photos)
by Sachyn Mital 30 Jul 2015 // 3:42 PM
- Anderson East Ignites a Fire at Mercury Lounge
by Sachyn Mital 29 Jul 2015 // 1:03 PM
- Veruca Salt Crushes San Diego's Soda Bar
by Greg M. Schwartz 29 Jul 2015 // 10:30 AM
- Country Fried Rock: Jonny "Two Bags" Wickersham of Social Distortion
by Sloane Spencer 29 Jul 2015 // 9:30 AM
- Speak of the Blue Devil: The Moody Grooves of Andy Kayes
by Imran Khan 28 Jul 2015 // 9:00 AM
- Notes, Hoaxes, and Jokes: Silkworm's 'Lifestyle' - "Slave Wages"
by Paul Duffus 27 Jul 2015 // 10:30 AM
- Basement Jaxx Jam in the Craziness at Summerstage
by Sachyn Mital 24 Jul 2015 // 10:00 AM