[14 April 2008]
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry?
Book: Music for Torching by A.M. Homes because it’s so sad.
Movie: What About Bob because it’s so funny. Ratatouille because it’s so so sooooooo inspiring.
2. The fictional character most like you?
Midori in Haruki Murakami’s book Norwegian Wood. Although I haven’t read it in a while and maybe I’ve changed. I like to think of myself as Holden Caulfield, but that’s just because Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book. I’m prolly more of a Phoebe than a Holden anyway because I changed my name too. Or maybe I’m one of Kafka’s characters since I’m crazy bout coffee.
3. The greatest album, ever?
Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks. I listened to it for a year non-stop. It’s like one long song or a long dream or a long trip on a train through Italy in the rain.
4. Star Trek or Star Wars?
Not really, but if I had to pick one, it would be Star Wars because of lightsabers and Princess Leia’s hair.
5. Your ideal brain food?
Very awesome strong coffee. (I guess brains would make an ideal brain food too?)
6. You’re proud of this accomplishment, but why?
I keep a journal now. I always tried, but could never do it. I have trouble writing full sentences is why.
7. You want to be remembered for…?
Words and being a good mom (when I actually am a mom).
8. Of those who’ve come before, the most inspirational are?
Writers and moms. I got a thing for Philippe Petit too (the tight-rope walker). I wrote him a song. I also wrote a song for Julian in The Strokes (or at least the words to a song—there’s no music yet).
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature?
Green Eggs and Ham.
10. Your hidden talents…?
I can slam dunk.
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed?
Get waterproof shoes. And I haven’t exactly followed the following, but I’d like to: if you build it, they will come…
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole, or borrowed?
Edvard Munch’s painting “The Scream” and a pen.
13. You feel best in Armani or Levis or…?
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be?
The Fam includin Phoebe and Chubs (our heavenly dogs, they are boxers) and Einstein and Remy in Ratatouille.
15. Time travel: where, when and why?
I’d go back in time to the 14th century and find the Italian poet Francesco Petrarca. I’d ask him bout Il Canzoniere and Laura. Was she real?
16. Stress management: hit man, spa vacation or Prozac?
No no no.
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or…?
18. Environ of choice: city or country, and where on the map?
NYC. Upper West Side.
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country?
Stress management: hit man, spa vacation or Prozac?
20. Last but certainly not least, what are you working on, now?
Getting a poem published in the New Yorker. I’ve already been rejected once.
Published at: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/20-questions-jaymay/