[2 July 2008]
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry?
Actually it was a song. Abdullah Ibrahim’s “Water From an Ancient Well”. I heard it right after a storm. It moved me so much, I recorded it on my record III.
2. The fictional character most like you?
3. The greatest album, ever?
Jimi Hendrix’s Axis Bold As Love.
4. Star Trek or Star Wars?
Star Wars... yeah definitely Star Wars... yeah… Star Wars... def, defin… definitely Star Wars
5. Your ideal brain food?
Going to see Shannon Powell, Herlin Riley or Russell Batiste play in New Orleans. I always come away with tons of ideas.
6. You’re proud of this accomplishment, but why?
My first instructional book and DVD project. It was a hell of a lot of work but it has been very well received. It’s my approach to New Orleans drumming and it features the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Ivan Neville and George Porter Jr.
7. You want to be remembered for…?
Being a bad ass MF who was also humble and helpful to the NOLA and global music communities.
8. Of those who’ve come before, the most inspirational are?
John Bonham, Elvin Jones, Zigaboo Modeliste, James Black, Johnny Vidacovich, Idris Muhammad.
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature?
The groove to Cissy Strut.
10. Your hidden talents…?
You’d have to ask my fiance.
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed?
Johnny Vidacovich told me “you can stick around New Orleans to go to college, but after that if you don’t get out… move to NY or LA or hit the road, I will personally come kick your ass”. I hit the road…
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole, or borrowed?
It was given to me: my first snare drum.
13. You feel best in Armani or Levis or…?
Both, depending on my mood.
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be?
My daughter and my fiance.
15. Time travel: where, when and why?
America in 1969 for the music… to see Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Meters, Coltrane, Miles. The list goes on and on.
16. Stress management: hit man, spa vacation or Prozac?
Spa vacation, or Mexican vacation.
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or…?
Coffee, wine, chocolate, music, fun and… well you know ;)
18. Environ of choice: city or country, and where on the map?
New Orleans (kind of both ;) or santa monica (city on the beach).
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country?
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW???
20. Last but certainly not least, what are you working on, now?
Mixing a new Garage-a-trois record. Finishing up my next instructional book, Groove Alchemy and preparing for the accompanying DVD. Touring my latest trio record, Emphasis! (On Parenthesis). Touring the globe with Galactic, working on a new Galactic record. Making plans for a Dragon Smoke record (with Ivan Neville, Eric Lindelll, Robert Mercurio) and a Midnite Disturbers record (all star brass band with Trombone Shorty, Big Sam, Mark Mullins, Ben Ellman, Skerik, Kevin O’day, Kirk Joseph, Matt Perrine). Also finishing up my signature snare and adding crash cymbals to my signature cymbal line… other than that, not much really.