Ásgeir: 6 October 2014, Williamsburg (Photos) + 20 Questions
Ásgeir took a quick stab at PopMatters' 20 Questions before his show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.
Ásgeir is a rapidly up and coming Icelandic singer-songwriter who has played New York several times in the last year (I first caught his show at CMJ in 2013). He continues to win over fans as visible by the larger and larger venues he has been performing at, and selling out. His recent jaunt in New York included two shows, one at the Bowery Ballroom and one at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Unfortunately, the crowd wasn't actually sold out at MHOW but that wasn't a deterrent from the musician diligently performing his soaring songs.
As before, Ásgeir played a cover of Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" but even more exciting were the Icelandic versions of his songs, like the original "In the Silence", the stunning "Dýrð í dauðaþögn". He also included a few non-album songs that kept the audience transfixed especially as the artist remains on the quiet side. The highlight was still his most propulsive, "Torrent", which he saved for the finale.
Before the show, Ásgeir took a quick stab at our '20 Questions', and his responses are below, as well as his current string of tour dates, which takes the Icelander to the West Coast, before he returns to the US in February 2015 as the opener for Irish musician and label-mate Hozier.
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry?
I never cry, I’m made of steel.
2. The fictional character most like you?
3. The greatest album, ever?
Grace [by] Jeff Buckley.
4.Star Trek or Star Wars?
5. Your ideal brain food?
6. You’re proud of this accomplishment, but why?
Because it was a dream come true.
7. You want to be remembered for...?
8. Of those who’ve come before, the most inspirational are?
Jeff Buckley, Justin Vernon, Thom Yorke, Beck.
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature?
"Moonlight Sonata" [Beethoven]
10. Your hidden talents...?
Counting to 10 in three different languages! And rolling one eye.
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed?
Keeping it real.
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole, or borrowed?
My Fender Strat, which I bought!
13. You feel best in Armani or Levis or..?
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be?
15. Time travel: where, when and why?
To the dinosaur age, because I’d like to see them.
16. Stress management: hit man, spa vacation or Prozac?
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or..?
18. Environ of choice: city or country, and where on the map?
Country - Iceland.
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country?
Can I buy your house?
20. Last but certainly not least, what are you working on, now?
Head in the Snow
In the Silence (IS)
Lupin Intrigue (IS)
Was There Nothing
Heart Shaped Box (Nirvana Cover)
Nu Hann Blaes (IS)
King and Cross
On that Day
Ásgeir tour dates:
10/10 Indianapolis, IN Deluxe
10/11 Madison, WI University of Wisconsin - Madison
10/12 Chicago, IL Lincoln Hall
10/14 Denver, CO Larimer Lounge
10/17 Los Angeles, CA El Rey Theatre
10/19 San Francisco, CA Treasure Island
10/21 Seattle, WA Columbia City Theater
10/22 Portland, OR Mississippi Studios
10/24 Salt Lake City, UT State Room
10/25 Las Vegas, NV Life is Beautiful
10/26 San Diego, CA The Irenic
[below w/ Hozier]
2/6 Los Angeles, CA The Fonda Theatre
2/10 Oakland, CA Fox Theater
2/11 Sacramento, CA Ace of Spades
2/13 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom
2/14 Seattle, WA Paramount Theater
2/15 Vancouver, BC Orpheum Theatre
2/17 Salt Lake City, UT The Depot
2/18 Denver, CO Ogden Theatre
2/20 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
2/21 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theater
2/23 Lawrence, KS Liberty Hall
2/24 St. Louis, MO The Pageant
2/25 Chicago, IL Riviera Theater
2/27 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall
2/28 Detroit, MI Royal Oak Music Theatre